The Taylight Zone - Anthology Four

13 - The Voice of Justice - Diana

"Listen to me."

She was crying now, tears rolling down her cheeks, her hands over her ears, trying to block out the voice.

Oh God, no, please, go away..

"You have to listen to me."

Please, go away. Please, please, please leave me alone, I don’t want to..

"He knew what was wrong," the voice continued, colder than ice. "He knew what he was doing was wrong."

Oh God, he didn’t mean to hurt me...

"But he did it anyway. He hurt you."

Oh please, stop...

"He hurt you. You cant deny that."

He would never mean it. It was an accident. I swear, it was an accident. He didn’t mean to. God, he was just so angry! He had a right to! Oh God, please, he didn’t mean to.. I swear..

"He was wrong. And he has to pay."

She swallowed, and gasping for air, wiped the tears from her eyes, and stared at the girl in front of her. Amy sniffled, and pulled on her blue cardigan, wincing as she touched the bruises that were turning back on her cheek.

There was a silence, where neither girl spoke.

"He didn’t mean to." she said thickly. "James is a good guy."

"He hurt you." The other girl said simply. "He was wrong. He has to pay. That’s the way life is Amy -- give what you take. You took hurt, so should he."

"He’s a good guy." Amy whispered.

The other girl leaned over, and firmly grasping her shoulders, spoke once more. "He deserves to die."

"Zac, will you turn off the news.. God, that is so morbid."
Zac Hanson cocked an eyebrow at Isaac, and turned back to the TV.

"Amy Young has been arrested and charged with the murder of her boyfriend, James Madison. Officials say that two had had a dispute where James had..."

The TV blared on, and Zac looked at the picture of the strawberry blonde girl in the upper right corner. She was smiling, in a pink dress, possibly for her prom. Her hands were cut off, most likely holding someone else’s. Maybe James. Her bright green eyes faded out as the news announcer continued.

"C’mon Ike, you didn’t complain when we had that all night horror fest."

Isaac put down his book, and rolled his eyes. "Dont be stupid -- this is real. And its so sad. She’s 17, and her life is ruined. He’s 17, and he’s dead. Its not the most uplifting thing, you know."

Zac waved his hand, ignoring his brother.

"She faces a life sentence in jail." A picture of her was flashed again, this time her eyes were downcast, and her hands were handcuffed as the police lead her away.

Taylor walked into the living room and sat down. "They finally sold the old Johnson place next door."

"Eh, no way. I guess that ends our trespassing." Isaac laughed.

"Yeah.. moms still insisting that Jess bring a casserole over."

Zac chuckled. "God, I hope its some old couple. We don’t need a girl next door. Shell bring her friends from school, and well be barraged everyday."

"No such luck," Taylor reached for the remote. "She’s a girl.. weird name too…" he fumbled through his mind. "Justice. That’s it. Justice Grey."

"Cool name." Zac remarked."

"Hello?" Justice opened the door, and smiled. "Oh, you must be my new neighbors!"
Taylor smiled awkwardly, hoping that she wouldn’t scream. "Taylor Hanson." He looked at her carefully, her dark hair tucked behind her ears, and the charm that swung from her necklace – a pair of scales.

She didn’t seem to notice who he was. She shook his hand warmly. "Justice Grey."

Jessica presented the casserole dish, which Justice took, and set down on a table in the hall.

"Thanks so much," she said. "I’m here alone for a week or so – my parents are always on business trips. I swear, they never come home. They just dump me with Delores, the maid." She rolled her eyes. "She only cooks French food, and let me tell you – snails aren’t so appetizing after they’d had them all week."

"Sounds like mom’s lasagne." Taylor laughed. "It’s constant leftovers."

Justice laughed. "My mom doesn’t even cook, so count yourself lucky."

Jessica drew herself up primly. "Excuse me, but do you know who Taylor is?"

Justice squinted at Taylor. "My new neighbor?"

"He’s in a band called Hanson. They’ve sold over 6 mill—"

Taylor glared at Jess, and nodded towards Justice. "We’d better go now. You have to unpack, I’m sure. I’ll see you later."

Justice only laughed, and turned around to close the door. "Bye Taylor.. I have a feeling we’ll be the best of friends."

"I can’t believe he did that!" Justice looked shocked, and she sat a little closer to Taylor.
Taylor smiled weakly, and grabbed another tissue. How long had it been since he had met Justice anyway? She was great.. his best, best friend. She always listened, and supported him.. through everything. "I can’t either."

"He should pay for that. I mean, Ike’s your brother – he can’t just steal your girlfriend. I mean, you and Kate have been together for what? Seven months?"

"I don’t understand it… I mean, he’s my big brother. He gave me advice on how to get her, and how…"

"That’s just wrong." Justice said seriously.

"What can I do?" Taylor asked miserably, tears staining his cheeks.

"What you should do."

"What?"

"He hurt you Taylor." Her voice was suddenly very keen.

"Yeah but.."

"He hurt you. He knew what was right, what was wrong. And he hurt you." The scale charm around her neck glinted in the light. "He should pay."

"Ike’s a good guy," Taylor said lamely, attempting to defend his brother. "Just.."

"He should pay." Her voice was now cajoling him. Visions leapt into his mind, the sound of a gun being loaded, and fired. Red, rushing in and covering his world. Splatters of red, over a light carpet.

"You should get him back Taylor," her voice was hard. "He deserves to die."

Taylor closed his eyes for a long time. When he opened them, all he saw was a world of red. All he saw was Isaac, his face frightened, and somewhere in the distance, his voice, screaming.

"Taylor, what the fuck are you doing, put that down?"

He deserves to die.

The metal was cold in his hand.

He hurt you.

He raised the gun slowly, and pulled the trigger.

Somewhere in his mind, the voice of Justice laughed. 


Next

Previous

Archives