Chapter Three

Friday night at Charlie's.

It was one of the busiest times of the week for the popular Carver Heights restaurant. 

Jennifer Barnes slowly shuffled her way through the mass of people, trying to make it to the ladies room.  She hated crowds -- they made her nervous.  The thought of being surrounded by all those strange, foreign bodies made her ill and queasy.   It was an irrational fear, but there was nothing she could do. 

"Excuse me," she said, trying to sidestep her way around a rather large man standing behind the bar.  He was holding a chilled mug of beer in his left hand and pointing to a television mounted from the ceiling with his right.  There was some type of sporting event going on that Jen couldn't identify.  The man was obviously into it because he was also shouting at the thirty-one inch screen.

"You're a bum!" he yelled, shaking his fist in the air. 

"Excuse me," Jen said again, a little louder this time.

The man turned to her and offered an embarrassed smile.  "Oh, pardon me, little lady."

He stepped aside and let her pass, immediately resuming his tirade at the coach or player on the monitor.  She made her way down the narrow corridor to the ladies room.   It was empty, thankfully, when she stepped inside.  The pungent, sterile aroma of cleaning fluid invaded her nostrils as the door shut behind her, drowning out the loud sound of rowdy patrons and blaring televisions. 

Jen sneaked a peak underneath the stalls to look for feet.  Satisfied that no one was there, she flipped the lock to the door and collapsed against the back of it.  Tears filled her eyes.  She’d been holding it together for too long.  She walked over the large mirror and lifted her t-shirt.  The large black-and-blue bruises stared menacingly back at her.

“Oh, Rob,” she said.  “How could you?”

It had been a fairy tale at first.  She’d found her Prince Charming and he’d swept her off her feet.  The violence had come quickly and unexpectedly.  Nothing could have prepared her for it.  If someone had warned her, she wouldn’t have believed it.  Rob was too gentle…too kind.  He would never be capable of inflicting such pain.

The fairy tale was over…it had become a horrible nightmare.  And it was one she couldn’t get away from.  As much as she wanted to leave Rob, she just couldn’t.  She loved him.  Something inside of her wanted to change him, even if it killed her in the process.

“Oh, God,” she said, “I’m so stupid.  Whatever made me think I’d be as lucky as Noah and Tracy at finding someone?”  She stared at herself in the mirror for a moment.  The mention of Tracy’s name brought a sick feeling to her stomach.  Tracy had Isaac – the guy Jennifer had fallen for just under a year ago.  As much as she hated to admit it to herself, Jennifer was jealous.  Her little sister had managed to sweep Isaac of his feet.

Sure, Isaac hadn’t shown that much interest in her, only corresponding a few times after they’d met, but deep down in her heart Jennifer had hoped that there was something there.  Until, that is, Tracy came into the picture.  Her little sister, the black sheep of the family, who had wowed everyone with her remarkable recovery from drug addiction; who had turned from a straight “F” student to a straight “B” student almost overnight. 

In reality, Jennifer should be happy for her little sister, and deep down inside she was, but also there was a twinge of jealousy that refused to go away.  Jennifer, who had always done everything right, was now paying the consequences of someone who had done wrong.  Tracy is the one who should have ended up with an abusive boyfriend, not her.  It just didn’t seem right. 

“I’ve always done the right thing,” she said aloud.  “And this is how I get repaid.  How unfair is that?”

“Now you don’t really believe that do you, baby?” a voice chimed from out of nowhere.

Jennifer jumped.  “What the…” she said as she turned around.  She was faced with a heavyset, but beautiful, African-American woman with a mound of hair piled stylishly on top of her head.  “How did you get in here?”

“My name’s Tess,” the woman said with a wide smile.  “And you’re Jennifer Barnes.”

Jen gave the woman a strange look.  “How did you…know my name?”

“I make it my business to know things.  Like, for instance, those bruises on your body.  How long do you think you can hide them?”

“Look…I don’t know who you are…” Jennifer turned back to the mirror and gasped.  The woman cast no reflection.  She turned back around.  “How did you do that?”

“You know, baby,” Tess began, “the wounds on the outside of your body will heal in time, but the ones on the inside won’t go away so quickly.  You think you can change Rob, but you’ll only end up getting hurt again.”

“Who are you?  How do you know all this?”

Jennifer jumped back as a bright light from above shown down upon Tess’s head.  It illuminated her from head to toe, making her even more beautiful than she already was.  There was something all too familiar about this whole situation.  Her mind fluttered back to a year ago, when Noah almost killed himself.  There had been angels there...they had glowed in the same manner that Tess was right now.

“I am an angel,” Tess said, “sent by God.”

“An -- an angel?  For me?”

“Yes, my dear, an angel.  And God wants you to know that He loves you more than anyone on this earth ever could.  He wants me to tell you that you’re worth more than having a boyfriend that abuses you.”

Tears filled Jennifer’s eyes again.  “But -- but I love him.  And he loves me.”

“No one who truly loves you will ever hit you out of anger.  That boy has some problems, yes, but their not yours to solve.  If you stay in that relationship, it’s just going to make things worse.”

“I don’t know what I’d do without him, Tess,” Jennifer said.  “He’s so wonderful and caring, capable of giving so much love most of the time.”

“I know you love him, but until he gets some help, you’re just going to keep getting hurt.  And as far as what you’re going to do without him, you already have Someone who loves you, who wants you to let Him be your lover and your friend.  It’s God, my dear.”

Jennifer laughed.  “God?”

“Yes, God.  He’s loved you since before you were born.  And He has a wonderful plan for your life.  All He asks is that you trust him.”

“You make it sound so easy.”

“It’s not easy, baby, and He understands that.  All He asks is that you try.”

“It’s so unfair, Tess,” Jennifer said.  “I’ve always tried to do the right thing.  I’ve always done exactly what I was supposed to do, and look how things have turned out.  I don’t understand it.”

“You know, the world doesn’t owe you anything, Jennifer.  Nobody ever promised that life would be simple.  Everyone has their own problems that they have to deal with.  And living a good life doesn’t exempt you from that.  You should be thankful for the trials in your life, for those are the times that remind us that God is on our side.  He’ll walk with you, baby -- He’ll even carry you.  But you have to let Him.”

Tess held her arms out and Jennifer walked into her warm embrace.  It was like coming home after being away for several years.  She sobbed quietly as the angel comforted her.  “It’s okay, baby,” Tess said.  “It’s gonna be okay.”

Jennifer stepped away from the motherly hug and smiled.  “Oh, gee, look at me,” she said.  “I’m a mess.”  Jennifer bent down over the basin, turning the cold water on.  She dipped her hands into the stream and splashed the water onto her face.  It felt cool and refreshing and helped to wash away her sadness.  She raised up and reached for the paper towels to dry herself.  The towels were course and rough, a direct contrast to the gentle feel of the water, and she gently dabbed at her face.

“You know, Tess,” she said, turning around.  There was no one there.

The angel was gone.

Jennifer looked around for a moment and then smiled to herself.  “Well, what do you know about that?”  She looked up toward the ceiling and laughed.  “Thank You.”



“Alright, Noah,” Tay said, breaking the ten minute silence.  “Spill it!”

Neither of them had spoken a word since leaving Woodruff Park and the quiet was beginning to get to Taylor.  He could tell something was wrong, but obviously Noah wasn’t willing to offer the information to him, so he decided to try guerilla tactics.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Taylor,” Noah responded.

“Don’t play dumb with me.  I know you by now.  Something’s bothering you.”

“Come on, Tay,” said Noah, knowing he was busted.  “You’re being ridiculous.”

“Am I?”

Noah laughed.  “Yes, you are.  I’m fine, Taylor.”  He looked nervously at his passenger and friend, who obviously wasn’t convinced.  “What’s gotten you so worked up, anyway?”

Taylor, who’d been looking into Noah’s eyes, quickly turned away.  He was afraid to tell Noah about the nightmares…even the one about him.  He knew that Noah would think he was crazy – certifiable.  He couldn’t risk it.

They rode in silence for several more minutes.  Taylor stared out the window, worried sick about his friend, but not knowing how to convey it without telling him about the dreams.  Noah, on the other hand, was trying to figure out how Taylor could possibly know anything. 

Taylor couldn’t have seen me with the gun.  They were too far away and going way too fast to have noticed that.

He kept switching his attention back and forth from Taylor to the road in front of him.  They were both too stubborn to say anything.  Noah decided to swallow his pride – it was driving him crazy.

“Well?”

Taylor turned.  “Well, what?”

“What the hell’s gotten into you?” 

 “Um…nothing…you just seem…” Taylor sighed deeply.  “Forget it, okay?”

“It’s kind of hard to forget something when you don’t know what it is.”

“Look, I said forget it.”

“Forget what, for crying out loud?”

“It’s nothing,” Tay shouted.  He turned his head toward the front and gasped.  “Noah!  Look out!”

It all happened in an instant.

Noah jerked his head forward and his heart leaped up into his throat.  A dump truck had pulled out directly in front of him.  There was nothing he could do – he was going too fast.  Gripping the wheel tighter, he silently prayed for all he was worth.

Oh, God…please, God…help!

Suddenly, a light came on – he saw a way out.  There was no oncoming traffic in the left lane.  It just might work.  He turned the wheel to the left, just enough to change the direction of the small Corolla.  His speed, however, was too great.  He lost control and swerved off the road, hitting two plastic trash cans, sending them flying through the air.

He slammed on the brakes and prayed for a miracle.



“Hey, Jennifer,” Tracy said when her sister walked through the door.  “What’s the matter with you?  You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Jennifer chuckled.  “No, but close.”  She walked over to her mother and gently took her by the arm.  “Mom, can you come over here for a second?”

“Sure, honey,” Marcie replied. 

They walked over to a corner and stopped.  Marcie gave her daughter a strange look.  “What’s wrong, Jen?”

“Uh,” Jennifer replied.  “Do you remember last year when Noah was sick?”

Marcie nodded.

“Well, did we really see…” she paused.  “We did see angels, right?  All of us?”

“Yes, we did.  You were there, Jen.  Don’t you remember?”

“Yeah, I remember fine,” Jen said.  “It’s just that…”

“It’s what?”

“I…uh…I think I just saw one.”

Marcie gasped.  “What?  Where?”

Sarah and Tracy looked in their direction.  Jennifer’s face turned red.  “Shh!  Keep your voice down.”

“I’m sorry, Jen,” Marcie said a little more quiet.  “Where did you see an angel?”

Jen sighed.  “Well, it’s going to sound crazy, but I saw her in the bathroom.”

There was a knock at the door.  It opened a little and Charlie appeared.  “Look what the cat dragged in.”  He stepped aside and in walked Isaac, Zac and Walker.

“Isaac!” Tracy squealed, interrupting their conversation.  “Oh, my gosh!”  She ran over and nearly knocked him over.  “It’s so good to see you!”

Isaac picked her up into his arms and spun her around.  “Tracy!”

“Oh, you guys are breaking my heart,” chimed Zac.  “Where’s the pregnant lady?”

“Zacasaurus!” Sarah screamed.

Zac ran over and wrapped his arms around her.

“Careful, Zac,” Sarah said, “you’ll crush the baby.”

“Oh, sorry,” Zac said loosening his grip on Sarah and then patted her stomach.  “We can’t let anything happen to little Zachary, now can we?”

Sarah touseled his hair.  “You little goof!  How have you been?”

“I’m great!” Zac announced.  “Where’s the birthday cake?”

They all laughed.  Marcie approached Walker and shook his hand.  “Where’s Taylor?”

“Oh,” Walker laughed.  “Well…”

“We kind of ran into Noah at the park,” Isaac said.  “And Tay wanted to ride over her with him.”

“What were you guys doing at the park?” Marcie asked.

“Taylor got carsick and we had to pull over.  Tay got out and puked hit guts out.  It was so cool!”

“Oh, gross,” Tracy said, “thanks for the visual, Zac.”

“What was Noah doing at the park?” Sarah asked, a little concerned.  She knew Noah went there when he was down.  It made her wonder.

“I don’t know,” Isaac said.  “He was just there when we pulled up.  He was so surprised to see us.  It’s too bad he had to see us there and not at the party though.”

“Oh, it’s okay, Ike,” Sarah said.  “As long as he was surprised.  Did he…uh…look okay to you?”

“Yeah, I guess so.  We were kind of preoccupied with Tay, though.”

“He was puking his guts out,” Zac interrupted.  “All sprawled over the fence and spewing like there was no tomorrow.”

“Zac, please,” Walker said.

“What?”

Walker rolled his eyes and grabbed Zac in a headlock.  “You’re crazy!”

“Ahhhh!” Zac yelled.

Isaac and Tracy stepped off by themselves.  Tracy’s grin was all over her face.  She was so happy to see him that she could hardly stand it.  “Did you miss me?”

“Of course, I did, silly.”

He leaned in closer and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. 

“I missed you too.”

Isaac took her by the hands and stared deeply into her eyes.  “All I could think about all summer long was you.  Every city, every concert…you were on my mind.  I wish you could have come with us.”

“Yeah, I know,” she said.  “But you’re here now and that’s all that matters.”

“Yeah,” he replied with a grin.  “Damn, you’re a sight for sore eyes.”

She blushed, tightening her grip on his hands.  “And now that you’re here, I may not let you go.”

He winked at her and gave her a huge hug.  “I love you, Tracy.”

“Oh, Ike,” she said, tears filling her eyes.  “I love you too.”

The moment was spoiled when Zac came over and stared at the two of them with a goofy grin on his face.  “Get a room!”

Everyone laughed at Zac’s comment.  Everyone, that is, except Sarah.  She was worried about Noah.  She knew he wouldn’t have been late to his own birthday party unless something serious was up.

What could have happened?  He’s been doing so well lately.

She walked over to the window and peered out the curtain, somehow hoping to catch a glimpse of her husband.

Oh, please, God.  Let him be okay.

“Appetizers, anyone?” Charlie announced.  He stepped into the room with a large tray filled with finger food of all kinds.  “We’ve got cheese sticks, cheese fries, cheese covered potatoes, fried onions, fried mushrooms, quesadillas. You name it, we’ve got it.”

“Do you have any Grey Poupon?” Zac asked.

“Yes, Zac,” Charlie said.  “We even have Grey Poupon.”

Charlie set the tray down on the table and Zac rushed over to it.  “Food!” he yelled.  He stopped when he noticed a bottle of picante sauce.  He picked it up and looked at the label.  “Wait a minute,” he said, “this ain’t Pace picante sauce.  Why, this stuff’s made in New York City!”

Laughter filled the room as Walker gently took Zac by the arm and pulled him away from the table.  “My son,” he said, “we used to be very proud of him.”



Twenty miles north, Robert Nelson, all-star quarterback and boyfriend to one Jennifer Barnes, was throwing his duffel bag into the back of his Ford Explorer.  She’d left without saying good-bye to him and Rob wasn’t very happy about that.

“When is she going to learn,” he said to himself, slamming the back cargo door and walking to the front of the vehicle.  He stepped into the truck and closed the door.  The engine roared to life as he turned the key.  He quickly put into gear and set off with a squeal of the tires.

“I’ll teach her what it means to respect me,” he said.  “Oh, yeah, I’ll show her.”

Chapter Four

Chapter Two

Archives