The Taylight Zone - Anthology Nine

03 - Soul Deamon - Bree

"Hey, baby." Isaac grinned at the sight of his girlfriend.

"Heya, Ikey.' The blond-headed girl kissed him.

"How are you?" He asked.

"Good, and you?"

"Great now that I'm with you." They walked down to the riverside and sat down.

"It's so beautiful here, isn't it? I just love it," Isaac said as he admired the glittering of the sun that reflected on the water.

"Yeah."


"Ike?"

Isaac looked up from the book he had been reading.

"Yeah?"

"Aren't you spending an awful lot of time with that girlfriend of yours?"
 
"What do you mean?"

"We never see you anymore since you started goin' out with her," Taylor said, with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"I don't wanna hang out every minute with my brothers, you know? I do need a life!"

"But must you really spend so much time EVERY DAY with her?"

"She's important to me, Tay. Deal with the fact that I have something in my life now, other than my family."

"We never see you anymore, Ike. I miss you, Zac misses you."

"Give me a break! We've only been going out a month. You can't miss me that bad."

"But, Ike…"

"Tay, quit being a baby and live with it. When I go to college you aren't going to see me either. So you'd better get used to it now."

"You're not going to college in Tulsa?"

"Are you kidding me?! No way!! I'm getting as far away from this place as possible."

Taylor looked really hurt.

"Don't give me that look. Go whine to someone else or something!" With that Isaac got up and left the room.

Ike's changed…Taylor thought sadly as he watched the back of the door that his brother had just left through.


Tay walked on the sidewalk towards the river. He wondered about his brother. Isaac had been acting strange ever since he started going out with Kara. He had been meaner than he usually was, and he was easier to annoy. Taylor sighed and looked up to see Kara. She was walking towards him. She's probably going to see Ike, Tay thought. He debated what to do as she came closer. Once she was about to pass him, he made up his mind.
 
"Hi, Kara." He said and she stopped.

"Hey." She looked like she didn't want to talk to him.

"So, how's Ike?"

"What do you mean how's Ike? Can't you ask him yourself?"

"No, you're the one who's always with him. When do you think we have time to spend with him?"

"Are you trying to make me feel bad or something?" She had an annoyed look on her face and was tapping her foot impatiently.

"Not, uh, really. I was just saying.. .I mean don't you think you guys could spend a little less time together? Or at least spend time at our house or something?"

"Now why would I want to do that?"

"You don't understand. Zac, Ike and I are, like, best friends. And then you come along and we don't even get to say hello anymore. He practically ignores us when he is home. Which isn't very often."

"Oh, am I taking Isaac from you and you want him back? Aww, you poor baby." Sarcasm was thick in her tone of voice. Then she grinned. "He's mine now. If it was up to me, you'd never see him."

"What do you mean?" In five minutes, Tay had grown from not liking the girl to wanting to strangle her.

"I would take him to live with me. You and your family is a bad influence on him. I would keep him all to myself and would make sure he never wanted to see you or your brother again."

"What the…?" Taylor looked at her. "Why are you being such a bitch?!"

"Cause I am one." She smiled a smile that sent shivers down his spine. It looked so evil.

"Ike won't let you do that!!" He raised his voice.
 
"Oh? We'll see."

"Go to hell!!" Tay screamed.

He could have sworn her eyes turned red. "No, Taylor. That's where you're going," she said in a strange, not even human sounding tone.

"What?!!" He practically shrieked.

"Say goodbye, Taylor."

"Goodbye to what?! What are you talking about?" She was scaring him.

"Say goodbye to your soul."

He gasped.

"It's mine now." It wasn't his imagination, her eyes were red this time as she glared at him. In a second her face was inches from his.

"Are you ready to die?"

He turned around and tried to run but she grabbed his arm and yanked him back.

"I asked you, Taylor Hanson, are you ready to die?"

He didn't say anything. He couldn't. His vocal chords were frozen in fear.

"Answer me!!!!"

She shook him furiously. Taylor felt paralyzed. He knew she was doing something to him so he couldn't move. She let go of him and he dropped to the ground. She reached into her pocket, pulling out something small and plastic. As she flipped the cap he smelled lighter fluid. She poured it all over his head. He could feel the cool liquid running down his face and into his clothes. He watched, unable to move, as she drew a pack of matches from her other pocket. Then he saw a flickering flame ignite in her hand. She dropped it and Taylor watched as the match fell into his lap. Kara turned, and continued on her way to the Hanson's house.


"Taaay?!!" Zac bounced up the stairs and searched their room. Not finding his brother, he went back downstairs.

"Mom, where's Tay?"

"I don't know honey, I haven't seen him since lunch."

"Oookay!! I bet he went for a walk. Can I go look for him?" He begged.

"Okay Zac, but be back before dark."

"Will do mom person!!" He bounced over to the door and went outside.
 
"Hey, Kara! Ike's inside!" He smiled at her and let her in as he left.

"Thank you, Zac."

"OH, have you by any chance seen Tay?"

"No, I haven't."

"Kay then!! Thanks anyways!"


"MOM!?!!?!?!" Zac ran, screaming her name, into the house.

"What's wrong?"

"I found Tay!!!" His eyes were wide open in shock.

Diana felt fear.

"Zachary, where is your brother?"

"He's dead, Mom!!" The tears poured like waterfalls.
 
Diana fell to her knees. She whispered.

"What happened?"

"I don't know, I don't know! I found his body… It's down the street." He wiped his nose on the back of his sleeve but kept crying. "He's all burnt!! It's like he was on fire." He buried his head into his mothers' shoulder as if trying to hide from the reality of it all, and they cried together.


He looked around. Nothing, there was nothing at all. He was in a room, all by himself. It was dark. There was no furniture, no lights, absolutely nothing!! He had never seen a room like this. The walls were painted black. There were no lights, yet he could see. And there wasn't a door, but he had to have gotten in somehow. He was so hot and he was sweating so much he was sure he could make a river. Tay wiped his forehead. As he brought his hand back down, he saw it. Lifting his hand again he examined it in horror. It was black and burnt. It looked like burnt toast. God, what's happened to me?, Taylor thought. He looked around again. Where am I? Then he remembered what Kara had done. He remembered what she had said to him. I'm dead!!!!!! Realization hit him. Oh shit! Is this hell?! He looked around, scared out of his mind.


The day after the funeral, Isaac and Kara were sitting in Isaac's room. Isaac's already red and puffy eyes kept dripping tears. "Who would do something like that? So gruesome! So…. Evil!!!" He was crying and talking at the same time. "The police said he was set on fire. It wasn't an accident. How could someone be so cruel? How could someone set a fifteen-year-old boy on fire?!?!" The teardrops were getting bigger. He turned towards Kara and looked at her.

"Why would they want to do that to my brother?" He whispered, and hugged her. Letting her go slowly, he wiped his eyes as more tears formed. There was a knock on the door and in a shaky voice, Isaac said, "Come in." Zac walked into the room in a very similar state to his brother.

"I think you should go now, Kara. This is a family thing… and I would like to be with Zac for awhile." Isaac said.

Kara got up without saying anything. She shot a look at Zac before she left, angry that Isaac's brothers were getting in the way of her love. Then Kara shut the door as she walked out.
 
Zac came over to his brother and sat beside him. They sat there in silence for awhile, each thinking about their brother.

"Why did he have to die?" Zac whispered.

"I don't know." Isaac whispered back. They were hesitant to talk in their normal tones, afraid their voices would break.

"Nobody hated him enough to do that to him." Zachary said, holding back more tears.

"Can you imagine how long he must have suffered that pain before he died?" Isaac's eyes started filling up.

"He died in the worst way…" Zac's tears were falling.

"Why would someone want to murder our brother? WHY?!? I just don't understand…" Zac leaned to his brother and they embraced in a soft hug that both of them needed.


The phone rang. Nobody bothered to pick it up. Everyone had been acting like zombies for a week, since the day he was killed. The phone was ringing noisily in the kitchen. Finally, Zac got up and went over to it, after at least seven rings.

"What?" He practically yelled.

"Zachary?" Kara asked.

"What do you want?"

"Hey, I wanted to see you."

"ME?! Why me?"

"I wanna get to know you better. You know, get to know the family. Isaac is so great I bet his family is too. Plus I think you need to get away from that house for awhile. Don't you agree?"

"Yeah.. I guess."

"Okay then, meet me at the river in five."

"All right." He hung up, put on his shoes, and left the house.


The flames. They were licking at his clothes. He watched as Kara left him there. He couldn't move. Couldn't even try and put them out. There was nothing he could do but watch himself die. The orange fire had finished burning his clothes and were eating his skin. He tried to scream, but couldn't. It hurt so bad. He lost all track of time as the pain consumed him. Taylor stopped remembering and opened his eyes. He was still in that room. But now flames began to burn on the walls. Moving down. They snaked across the floor and came towards him. He scrambled to find a safe place where there was no flame, but found none. The flames were coming in from all sides. "NOOO!!" He tried to scream, but no sound came. The fire engulfed him, again.

"Hi, Zac."

"Hey, Kara."

"Thanks for meeting me here."

"You're welcome."

She walked beside him till they reached the edge of the river.

"I wanted to talk to you." She said.

"Okay, about what?"

"I know who killed your brother."

Zac looked up at her, his brows knotting in pain.

"Who?!"

She grinned with her evil grin.

"I did."

"WHAT?!" Zac scrambled backwards.

"You heard me."

"But why??"

"He was getting between Isaac and me. He wanted Isaac back. I couldn't let that happen. Ike is mine. Plus, I want his soul. I can't get it until I get the souls of the people that are closest to him. Taylor was one, and you are the other."

"What.. are you going to do?" Zachary kept walking backwards.

"Kill you." She leaped onto him and wrestled him to the ground. Zac couldn't believe how strong she was. She grabbed him by his hair and slammed his head into the rocky ground. Zac was struggling madly.

"You sure put up more of a fight than your brother did!", she said. It was almost like she enjoyed fighting with him. Kara dragged him to the side of the river. She put his face into the water and held it down. He frantically flayed his arms, trying to get her to let him back up for air. He kicked and tried to hit her with his fists, but missed. She held him tightly, never letting go of her grip on the back of his neck. His fighting slowly died down to nothing. Once she was sure he was dead, she pushed him farther into the river and walked away.


The flames were gone, but they had done their job. He had felt the agony of the pain again, but this time for much much longer. He couldn't die again. He was already dead. Taylor sensed he was actually reliving his death, the pain was so unbearable. He had curled up in the middle of the floor, and that's where he was now. Suddenly Zac appeared. Taylor tried to lift his head, but could not. Zac ran towards him.

"Taylor?" He said, and water gushed from his lungs. Zac clung to his neck. And sat down. "I'm dead, aren't I?" He looked around the room, just like Tay had done, then back down at his brother. He started crying.
"Taylor… she killed us both…"


Isaac and Kara were sitting in the Hanson's tree house the one Walker had built for his children. "This must be a dream." Isaac said softly. "I lost both the people I loved most in this world in less than two weeks." He sighed and put his head in his hands.

"Don't you love me?" Kara asked, rubbing his back.

He looked over at her, surprised to hear her ask that.

"Of course I do. But these are my brothers!! They mean more to me than anything in the world!"

"More than me?" She removed her hand from his back.

"Kara, don't you understand? Yes, I do love you. But I've only known you a month. My brother's have been with me my whole life… Family is different." Then he thought of something. "What if I'm next?! I mean, they were both murdered. Why wouldn't the murderer come after me?"

"Maybe the murderer doesn't want to kill you." They stopped talking for a minute. Then Kara asked, "Where do you think they went?"

"What do you mean?"

"Hell or Heaven?"
 
"Heaven. We are all Christians. They accepted God. They must have gone to Heaven."

"But what if they went to Hell?"

"Why would they go to hell?!"

"I think they went to Hell."

Isaac jumped up, barely missing the roof of the tree house.
 
"Why do you say that?!"

"Calm down Isaac! I'm just saying…"

"Whatever, but don't you dare even bring up that my brothers could have gone to Hell."

"I won't, baby."

"Good!" He sat back down.

She leaned on him and said,

"Now we can be together all the time. No one will bother us anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"Your brothers. They can't bother us anymore. You're mine now." She smiled.

"What are you talking about?!?" He raised his voice.

"I did it for you, Isaac. You weren't supposed to take it this hard. I wanted us to be together, forever. Tay and Zac would have only gotten in the way. They were already starting to. I had to get rid of them."

"You crazy bitch!!!!" Isaac grabbed her and slammed her against the side of the tree house, choking her. "You killed them!!!!!" He tightened his grip. She easily got out of his grasp, and stammered, "But… Isaac… I did it for you!!"
"You crazy psycho!!! I can't believe you're the one who did this!!!" He ran for her but she moved out of his way. He came for her again but ran into something else. He stepped back as pain shot through his chest. His eyes rested on the knife that she held in her hand. She brought it up again and watched with wicked glee in her eyes as it plunged into his chest, again and again. Finally he crumpled to the floor. She yelled, "That's what you get, you ungrateful fuck!"


Taylor and Zac remained in the same positions as before. Taylor was too much in pain to move. And Zachary was too in shock to do anything. He looked up and saw Isaac appear. Zac jumped up and moved over to him.

"Not you too, Ike!!" He cried as he got closer and saw the blood running down his brother's clothes. Kara suddenly appeared, getting between the brothers, and shot red fire from her eyes as she stared at him. He fell backwards.

Kara's form changed into that of a dark red, glowing beast. Her eyes were crimson. In a dark evil voice she growled, "Stay away from him. You can't get any closer. His soul is mine. He belongs to me."
 
Isaac fell to his knees as she spit on him. It landed on his leg and the acidic goo burned through his bone.

"IKE!!" Zac screamed desperately as he saw the pain in his brother's eyes.
"SHUT UP YOU!!" She yelled and the walls shook. Zac whimpered and backed up to be beside Taylor.

She turned back to Isaac and began kicking him.

Zac turned his head and knelt beside Tay.

He whispered, "Taylor, we have to do something. She's got Ike. I can't get even close to him. What do we do?!"

Tay looked at him sadly but said nothing.

Zac looked back over at his brother. He was being beaten so badly he could see puddles of blood forming on the floor.

Zachary got to his feet and ran over to him. Stopping before he got to him he screamed, "STOP IT!!!"

She twirled around and glared at him. "Do you actually think you can stop me?!" She shrieked. "Do you want to take me on, you fool?!?!" She screamed.
"Just, please, don't hurt him anymore." Zac said, scared.
She flew to him. Drawing her knife she shoved it into his arm. It was burning hot. Zac screamed and held his arm, crying. She began to beat him.

Thankful that she had gone, Isaac blinked, trying to keep the blood from his eyes. He blinked numerous times before he could see. The sight that met his eyes made him wish that she were back, kicking him, not his brother.


Zac knew he was dead already, but she was now killing his soul. He knew it, he could feel it. She didn't need them anymore. She got what she wanted. She got Isaac. He cried out in pain at another blow to his head. He heard the breathing of his soul, (not his body, for that had ended a long time ago) start to slow down. He whispered, "…as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…" to himself. He continued the verse. The beating let up a little. He stopped to breathe and she started again. "Jesus don't let me die!" He whispered even more softly than before. His breathing was slower now. She stopped again, then started on him once more. He realized what had made her stop. He gasped for breath, and coughed up blood. Breathing a few more times, he said hoarsely, "the Lord is my Shepherd… I shall not be in want… He makes me lie down in green pastures…" and realized she had stopped again. He continued, "he leads me beside quiet waters…he restores my soul…he guides me in paths of righteousness…for his names sake…even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…" He was beginning to gasp like a fish out of water now. But he kept going, "I will fear no evil… for He is with me… His rod and His staff…they comfort me…" His breathing slowly faded. She hadn't touched him through the whole prayer. But now that he had stopped praying she went back to Isaac. Ike had heard what Zac had said. He then repeated the same verse and watched as she faded in and out. He said it once through, then began screaming it. He could tell she was getting weaker. The roof started to crumble as he spoke, but he didn't stop. Knives were flying across the room, rocks were falling from the roof, but Isaac never let up. Then the walls caught fire. He heard the first sound he had heard from Taylor this whole time. His brother was screaming. His voice was so terrified it tore at Isaac's heart and it made him stop. As his prayer faded, Kara came to Isaac and said, "Look what you've done!!! He's going to go through fire again because of you!! You should have stopped! Look what you've done to him. He's already gone through fire twice! You're torturing your own BROTHER!!" Isaac watched as the fire made it's way to his brother.

"Please, make it stop. Don't burn him again! PLEASE! I didn't mean it!"
 
"It's too late, Isaac."

He watched sadly as the flames enfolded his brother in a orange light. He heard Taylor's piercing screams.

"Please!! Don't do it to him!" Isaac screamed at her. She ignored him. The screams got louder and louder and more full of pain. Isaac started crying at the thought of how much his brother was being hurt. The screams then finally died down and stopped.

Kara sneered and got close to Isaac. She moved her head and the knives started flying again. They went straight to Isaac this time. They silenced his sobbing.


Kara cackled her evil laugh and the walls shook again. Her eyes glowed with the glory of killing. "Too bad, Isaac. If only you had appreciated all I did for you. We could have lived together, forever. Oh well. It's your loss." She smiled her smile of the devil, pleased with her work.


Then a sound. It was so soft. She strained her ears to hear it. It was barely audible. She couldn't tell where it was coming from.

"…deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil…"

"NOO!!" She screamed, turning from side to side to figure out where it was coming from. She had killed all of them. Their souls were gone. Who could be saying it?!

"…for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, and ever, amen…"

She was fading again. Kara screamed hysterically.

"…deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil…"

The voice kept repeating those words. She was fading fast. Quickly she flew to Isaac, but felt no life. Then she went over to Zac. No life there either. Going over to Tay, she heard the sound getting louder. She felt his life. It was almost gone, but the power was still there.

"…deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil, deliver us from evil…"

She could do nothing. He had won.


Taylor, Isaac, and Zachary all woke up at the same time. They looked at each other with questioning looks on their faces. They knew, without even saying anything, that they all had been part of the same dream. Isaac pulled up his undershirt and looked at himself. There were no scars. Sighing, he rolled over. His eyes caught sight of a picture in a picture frame.
 
"Uhhh…" Was all he said. Taylor and Zac got up and looked over to where Isaac was looking. It was at a picture of Isaac and Kara holding hands. Kara's eyes were glowing red.


Next

Previous

Archives