Epilogue – If I’m Gone When You Wake Up, Please Don’t Cry

Taylor Hanson, wearing the nicest clothes that life on the road would allow, stood stoically with his family as a single tear rolled down his cheek.  The wind was strong today, and it blew his long, blond hair.  He raised his hands and tucked the hair behind his ears. 

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

He barely heard the minister reciting the 23rd Psalm as he gazed sadly upon the casket that contained his friend, Jesse Lake.  He was numb.  It didn’t make sense that Jesse had to die, but Taylor had learned a long time ago not to question the hand of providence.  It was like Noah had said, “people die.”  That was part of life.  But that didn’t mean he had to like it.

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Taylor snapped out of his thoughts.  That was his cue.  He and his brothers stepped forward.


 
Noah Barnes stood solemnly with Sarah on one side and Tracy on the other.  He clutched their hands tightly as he fought back the tears that so desperately wanted to come.  Forty-eight hours ago, everything had been fine.  And now he was saying good-bye to his best friend. 

When God closes a door, He opens a window.

Noah smiled as he thought of the little plaque hanging on their refrigerator with that saying printed on it.  How true it was.  One chapter of his life was over, but another was just beginning.  He’d gotten his job at the paper back, along with a hefty raise and numerous apologies from Marshall.

He looked over at Tracy and squeezed her hand.  He had his little sister back.  He and his Mom had talked to the people at the treatment center and they agreed that it would okay to release her.  Noah looked forward to making up for the lost time.  Although, when Jennifer came home from college and found out she had a rival for Isaac’s affections, things might get pretty hairy, but it wasn’t anything they couldn’t handle as a family.  They’d been to hell and back.  Certainly they could handle a little sibling rivalry.

Sarah clutched Noah tighter.  He was going to be a father – he couldn’t believe it.  God had saw fit to bless them with a child.  Surely the little plaque on the refrigerator did tell the truth.  God did always open a window after He closed a door.  A new chapter was beginning in Noah’s life.  And he couldn’t wait to find out where it would lead him.



Taylor took a deep breath and fought back the tears as he started to sing, his brothers picking up the harmony.

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot Thou has taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well, with my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul

Chapter Twelve

Angels Unaware

Archives