Chapter Twelve – ‘Cause Even If We Can’t Be Together

“Oh, damn, Taylor, that hurts,” Jesse said, flinching with pain.

“Sorry,” Taylor said.  “I’m just trying to stop the blood.”

Jesse managed a smile.  “You’d better be glad you can sing, kid.  You’d make a lousy nurse.”

Taylor offered him a smirk.  “Sorry, we haven’t reached ‘gunshot wounds’ in our home-schooling yet.”

“Man, this sucks.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Promise me something, Taylor?”

“Anything.”

Jesse struggled for air; the pain was taking his breath away.  “If I don’t make it out of here, will you get my story to the teeny mags?”

Taylor laughed again.  “Oh, no, you can tell them yourself.  You’re gonna make it, Jesse.”

“You sound so sure of that.”

Taylor sighed.  “Well, I have to be sure.  I’ll give up otherwise.”

Neither one of them said a word for a moment.  Taylor could hear Jesse gasping for breath.  Each sentence was a struggle.  “Why would he…do this, Taylor?”

“I don’t know, Jesse.”

“I wish you could have…known him before all that…Helmerich & Payne stuff,” Jesse said, his eyes misting over.  “He used to be…such a good father.  Back then he never…would have thought to beat…the hell out of me.  I can’t help but wonder if…it was something I did.”

“How could it possibly be your fault?”

“Everything has been…my fault since…Mom died.  Why the hell…do you think I moved out?”

“I’m sorry, man.  I wish I knew what to say.”

“You’re…you’re lucky, Taylor,” Jesse said.  “Your Dad loves you.  It sounds like…you’ve got a…a great family.”

Taylor thought for a moment.  Jesse was right; he was very fortunate.  He made a mental note not to gripe the next time his Dad fussed at him about something.  He smiled.  Boy, did he ever miss them.  He missed Zac’s embarrassing behavior, Isaac’s goofy impressions, and what he wouldn’t give to hear Zoe scream her lungs out.  Yes, he had it pretty good.  All he wanted now was to get back to them in one piece.

Jesse mumbled something unintelligible.

“What’s that, Jesse?”

“Noon is in…Zone D,” he rambled.  “We have to get…the noon orders out.”

“Jesse?  Are you okay?”

His eyes were wide opened and he was staring at something that Taylor couldn’t see.  He tried to get up off the floor.

“Whoa, Jesse,” Taylor said, trying to hold him down.  “Where do you think you’re going?”

“The noon orders,” he said.  “We have to get…”

Taylor, not knowing what else to do, blurted out the first thing that come to his mind.  “They’re gone, Jesse.”

Jesse looked up at him.  “Gone?”

“The noon orders,” Taylor said.  “They’re gone.  You can relax now.  It’s okay.”

He relaxed a little and rested his head in Taylor’s lap again.  Then, he tried to raise himself up.  “But –“

“They’re gone.  Just lie still, okay?”  Taylor, not knowing what else to do, simply uttered a prayer to the heavens, while Jesse kept mumbling on about getting the orders out.



The assault against Diana Hanson began the moment she walked into the room.  It was a carefully planned offensive that could only have originated from the realm of “kid-dom.”  All those under the age of thirteen were well trained in the most nerve shattering of all kid ploys.

“Mom!” The three youngest Hanson children screamed at once.

Diana collapsed onto the bed and offered a weak smile.  “Come on, kids, you know I can only hear one of you at a time.”

“Avery won’t leave me alone,” Jessica whined.

“Jessica won’t tell me what’s going on,” Avery chimed.

“I wanna watch Sesame Street,” Mackenzie added.

Diana sighed.  “Come on, guys, give Mom a break.”  She looked around the room at her six children and noticed how empty it seemed with out Taylor.  He was the quiet and introspective one; Tay was her dreamer.  As much and as equally as she loved her children, there was something special about Taylor.

She worried about him the most.  He was the one she had to keep tabs on because he wouldn’t always tell her when something was wrong.  Diana wondered how he could possibly be handling his current situation.  How would he be when all this was over?  Would he ever be the same again?

Oh, please, God, let him be okay!

Isaac’s voice snapped her away from her thoughts.  “Where’s Dad?”

She took a deep breath.  Should she tell him?  Would she just be getting their hopes up?  Was SHE getting her hopes up?  Well, they had a right to know what was going on.  “Your father and the FBI think they know where Taylor is.  They’ve gone to look for him.”

“Did Noah go with them?” Zac asked.

“No,” Diana responded.  “Why would he?”

“Well, he took off in a hurry saying he thought he knew where Taylor was.  He didn’t go with Dad, then?”

“No, sweetie, he didn’t.”

“Weird,” Zac said.  He was silent for a moment.  Then: “Oh, my gosh!”

“What is it?” his mother asked.

“Noah had a gun, Mom.  He had a gun in his car.”

“That’s right,” Ike added.  “You don’t think he’d try anything –“

“Where is Taylor, Mommy?”  Jessica looked confused.  The younger children hadn’t been told the whole truth about what had happened to Taylor. 

Diana looked at her daughter and offered a small smile.  “Well, sweetie, a very bad man took him away from us.”

“A stranger?” Mackenzie asked in amazement.

“Yes, Mackie, a stranger.”

Jessica shook her head.  “Why would anyone want to take Tay?  He’s so loud and he smells funny.”

She stifled a laugh.  “Now, Jessica, that’s no way to talk about your brother.”  Diana looked at Isaac.  He had a smirk on his face and she could tell he was about to make a sarcastic comment.  “Don’t even think about it, Mister!”

Isaac looked innocent.  “Think about what?”

“You know what I’m talking about.  It’s bad enough you pick on Taylor to his face, much less when he’s not even here to defend himself.”

Zac frowned.  “What about Noah, Mom?”

“I don’t know, Zac,” she replied.  “I guess there’s not much we can do.”

“But, Mom, he’s got a gun.  He’s gonna get himself killed.”

She reached out and took Zac’s hand into hers and pulled him close.  “I know, honey.  I’m worried too.”

“There has to be something we can do,” Zac said.

“Zac!” Ike said suddenly.  “His cellphone.  What about his cellphone?”

“Hey, you’re right!  Mom, didn’t Ike give Dad the number when he called from the car?”

Diana fumbled around on the night table.  “Yes, he did.  Here it is.  Why don’t you call him, Zac, if it will make you feel better?”

“Cool!”

He picked up the phone and dialed the number.  It rang a few times.  A recording came on the line.  “The cellular customer you are trying to reach is not currently available.  Please try your call later.”

“Darn it all,” Zac shouted.  “He must have it turned off.”  As soon as he put the phone down, it rang.  “Ahh!”  He picked up the receiver.  “Hello?”

“Zac?” Sarah said frantically.

“Yes?”

“It’s Sarah.  Do you have any idea where Noah went?  I’m worried sick.”

“No, Sarah, we don’t.  He took off out of here like the place was on fire.  Here’s Mom.”

Diana took the phone from Zac.  “Hello?”

“Diana?  I don’t know what to do about Noah.  I have no idea where he’s going.  He’s turned off his phone and –“

“Calm down, Sarah,” Diana said.  “I’m going to call Walker, he’s with the FBI.  They’re on their way somewhere right now.  If they’re headed to the same place then they’re not that far behind.  Stay by the phone and call me here if you need me.”

“Okay, I will.”

Diana hung up the phone and sighed.  She picked the receiver up and dialed Walker.



“Taylor?” Jesse said suddenly.

“Yeah, Jesse, what is it?”

“I’m…I’m cold.”

He had started shaking several minutes ago.  Taylor instinctively pulled the sleeping bag up over him.  His own body ached from his injuries; the adrenaline rush from their escape attempt had long since worn off.  He was leaned back against the wall with Jesse’s head still in his lap.  His pullover was now completely soaked with Jesse’s blood.  The wound was pretty bad.

I don’t know what to do, God.  I don’t know what to do.

“Damn…damn him, Taylor,” Jesse said.  “I’ve got to…got to get you…get you out of here.”  He tried to get up again. 

“Stop it, Jesse!  You’re just going to make things worse.”

“Ahh!” Jesse screamed.  “It hurts…Taylor.”

Taylor sighed.  “All the more reason for you to quit playing the hero, you doofus.  Just lie still until help gets here.”

Jesse sighed.  “We’re never gonna…get out of here.”

He was beginning to freak Taylor out.  One minute he was ready to break the door down, the next he was giving up hope. 

It must be the blood loss!  What am I going to do?

“We’re going to die down here, Taylor.”

“Dammit, will you quit saying that?”

“Shit, Taylor,” Jesse moaned.  “It hurts…it hurts really bad.”

Taylor leaned his head back against the wall and took a deep breath.  He winced at the pain it caused.  He stared up into the darkness; their flashlight batteries had long since given out.  They’d been too preoccupied to look for more.

I’ve got to get him out of here!

“I know it hurts, Jesse, but just hang in there.  We’re going to get out of here.”  He managed a weak smile.  “Did I tell you that we actually know the Spice Girls?  I can get you backstage passes.”

“I hate…hate the Spice Girls,” Jesse mumbled.  He took several more short breaths.  “But I hate…I hate you guys even…even –“

Jesse stopped in mid-sentence.  Taylor gently nudged him.

“Jesse?”

No response.

“Jesse!”



Noah Barnes pulled into the Lake’s driveway and reached over to the passenger’s seat.  The gun stared menacingly back to him.  Six months earlier, he’d almost ended his own life with it.  And now, he faced the decision to take another’s.  Would he do it?  Could he do it?

What the hell am I doing? 

He picked up the gun and ejected the clip from the handle.  It was full.  He pushed the magazine back in and pulled back the slide. 

I must be crazy.

Noah carefully pushed up the safety lever and pulled back the hammer.  The gun was ready to fire.  He just hoped to God that he wouldn’t have to use it.  Noah took a deep breath, nervously opened the door, and climbed out of the car.



“Hello?” Walker Hanson said into his cellphone.  It was Diana’s voice on the other end.  She sounded frantic. 

“Walker?  Noah’s gone.  The boys said he’s on his way to get Taylor.”

“What?” he shouted.  “Where is he?”

“I don’t know, Walker, but Zac says he has a gun with him.  Sarah’s hysterical.  Oh, Walker, please hurry!”

“Okay, Diana,” Walker said calmly, although he was just as hysterical as she was on the inside.  “We don’t even know if he’s going to the right place.  And if he is, we’re almost there.  It’s going to be okay.”

“Walker, if anything happens to either one of them – or both – I just don’t know if I could –“

“Honey, it’s okay; just calm down.  We’re going to bring them home.”

He could hear her sobbing on the other end. 

“Diana?  It’s okay.  I promise you it’s going to be okay.”

“Alright, Walker,” she managed.  “Just be careful.”

“I will, Diana,” he said.  “I love you.”

Walker turned off the phone and sighed.  He was riding shotgun with Frank Doubleday.  He’d been impressed at how they’d managed to organize a team of agents so quickly.  There were twelve of them on their way, driving like bats out of hell. 

“What was that all about?” Doubleday asked.

“It seems our friend Noah is one step ahead of us,” Walker said.

Doubleday looked over at Walker.  “What are you talking about?”

Walker shook his head.  That boy was too smart for his own good.  And it was about to get him killed.  “Our friend, Noah, the journalist.  He’s on his way to get Taylor.  He’s got a gun, Frank.”

“What?  What do you mean?  How did he know?  I mean, how could he?”

Walker laughed in spite of himself.  “He’s a smart guy, Frank.  Smarter than the rest of us.”

“That damn fool!  In ten minutes that place will be surrounded by Federal agents and Douglas County cops.  He has no idea what he’s gotten himself into!”



Sarah Barnes knelt down beside her bed with tears streaming from her eyes. 

Please, God.  Oh, please!

“Lord,” she began.  “Please watch over and protect my Noah.  I love him, Lord.  I love him so much.  Please bring him and Taylor home.  Please.  I can’t live without Noah, Lord.  I just can’t!  Please let him be okay.”

The tears streamed down her face and she buried her head in the pillow.

Please, God. Oh, please!



“Come on, Jesse, wake up!” Taylor shouted.  “Wake up, man!”

Jesse stirred.  “Noon orders,” he said. 

“Jesse?  Hold on, man!”

“We’ve got to…to get out the…” he stopped.  “Taylor?”

He felt a tear roll down his face.  “Yeah, man, what is it?”

“You’re a pretty…pretty okay guy.”

Taylor managed to laugh.  “For a blond chick, right?”

He could feel Jesse shake his head.  “No…no way.”  Jesse’s breaths were getting shorter and he was still shaking.  “No…you’re pretty okay…for a guy.”

Taylor was crying now; he could feel his heart ripping in two.



Noah held the gun close to his side and slowly approached the front door.  Not knowing what else to do, he gently knocked.  The sound of his hand striking the wood made him jump.  He was scared to death.

Oh, man!  Oh, man!  Oh, man!

Not receiving an answer, he gingerly reached down to the knob and gave it a quick turn.  He was surprised to find it unlocked.  He pushed it open and looked inside. 

“Mr. Lake?” he said.  “Jesse?”

He slowly took a step into the living room.  The only sound was a radio playing upstairs.  A chill shot through his body.

“Damn!”

The remains of a coffee table and whiskey bottle lay on the floor.  It was a huge mess.  A baseball bat lay on the couch.

What the hell happened here?

“Mr. Lake?  Jesse?  Taylor?”



Abraham closed his suitcase and looked around the room.  Sometimes if he closed his eyes and got really quiet at night he could hear Karen’s laughter.  He missed her so much.  She’d meant everything to him.

I did it all for you, Karen.

All the money in the world wouldn’t bring her back.  Why had he even bothered with this whole thing?  What did it all mean?  What was it all about? 

Walker Hanson.  That son-of-a-bitch!

He smiled.  That’s what it was all about, making that no good scumbag suffer a little pain.  His only regret was that he wouldn’t be able to see the look on Walker Hanson’s face when he heard that his son was found dead in a dark, dirty basement.  That’s what gave him joy – what put his mind at ease.  He let out a long, hearty laugh and sat down on the bed, the radio still playing.



Noah started to walk up the stairs toward the source of the music but something stopped him.  He tightened his grip on the gun and turned to the kitchen.  The basement door beckoned to him in an almost audible voice. 

The basement!

 He tried to move his feet but they felt like they were attached to the floor.  Nobody had bothered to tell his mind though, because he was moving.  Unconsciously, his feet were taking him across the living room and into the kitchen.  His heart felt like it was going to pound right out of his chest.

Dammit!  Oh, man!  Oh, jeez!

On the kitchen floor were the remains of an old, green wall phone – it had been smashed to pieces.  Noah reached out and put his hand on the knob to the basement door.  He turned and pulled – it didn’t budge. 

“Taylor?” He shouted.  “Taylor, are you down there?”



Taylor raised his head from the wall and listened intently.

Did someone just call my name?

“Taylor?” the voice said faintly again.  “It’s Noah Barnes.”

His heart leaped.  It was someone.  They were saved.  With all he could muster, he opened his mouth to scream.  “I’m down here!  Hey!  I’m down here!”

“Taylor?”

“I’m down here, Noah!”  He smiled and nudged Jesse.  “Jesse, wake up!  It’s Noah!”



Noah felt stupid that he hadn’t noticed the deadbolt before.  He flipped the mechanism and tried the door again.  It opened this time.  He stepped into the darkness and felt for a light switch.  He found it and flipped it on.

“Taylor?”

“Noah!  We’re down here.  Jesse’s hurt.”

It was Taylor’s voice.  Noah rushed down the stairs and stopped cold at the bottom.  The sight that met his eyes astounded him.  There was Taylor Hanson, sitting with his back against a wall.  His face was bloodied and bruised – his blond hair hung in unkempt strands from the ponytail he’d pulled it back into.  His eyes were squinting at the light.

His best friend Jesse lay with his head in Taylor’s lap.  His entire right side was covered with blood.  Taylor was holding what looked to be a shirt over Jesse’s right shoulder.

“Oh, my,” Noah began.  “What happened?”

Taylor raised himself up.  “He’s been shot, Noah.”

“It’s his Dad, isn’t it?” Noah knelt down and pulled the sleeping bag off of Jesse.  “Jesse?  Can you hear me?  Jesse?”

“The guy’s a complete psycho, Noah,” Taylor said.  “We’ve got to get out of here.”

“Are you okay?”  He gently lifted Jesse’s head so Taylor could move.

“I hurt like hell, but I’ll manage.”

“Jesse?” Noah said, gently slapping his face.

Jesse’s eyes fluttered open and gazed up at Noah.  “I hate…hate the Spice Girls.”

Noah looked at Taylor.  “What?”

“Long story.” Taylor responded.



Abraham rolled off the bed and flipped the switch on the radio.  It was quiet for moment.  Then, he thought he heard something.

What the hell?

There were voices coming from the basement.  He walked over to the window and glanced out.  There was a white car in the driveway. 

“That son-of-a-bitch,” he screamed.  He grabbed the gun off the chest and made his way out of the room.



“Man, Noah,” Taylor began, “is he going to be okay?”

“I don’t know, Tay.  I really don’t know.  Can you walk?”

“Don’t worry about me,” Taylor said, managing to stand.  We’ve got to get him to a hospital, he’s lost a lot of blood.”

“Hey, Noah,” Jesse said.  “Your friend here…is pretty cool.  He’s alright, you…you know?”

Noah smiled.  “How ya doin’, Jesse?”

“I’ve been…I’ve been shot, genius,” he responded.  “How do you think…think I feel?”

“Same old Jesse,” Noah snickered.  “Come on, let’s get the hell out of here.”  He set the gun down on the floor and put his arms underneath his Jesse’s body and gently lifted.  Fortunately, he didn’t weigh much. 

“Oh, damn…that hurts like hell,” Jesse said.

“Sorry, dude, but –“

“You know,” a voice said, “I don’t recall sending out invitations to this little party.”

They all turned to face Abraham Lake, who was walking down the stairs with his gun in hand.

“We’ve got ourselves another hero in the bunch, boys and girls,” he said.  “Put Jesse down.”

Noah shook his head.  “Mr. Lake, please, Jesse’s hurt.  He needs medical attention.”

Abraham sneered.  “Medical attention he wouldn’t have needed if he’d only kept his damn nose out of my business.  Now, put him down!”

Noah reluctantly complied and carefully set Jesse back down on the floor.  He eyed the gun as he did.  He didn’t think Mr. Lake had noticed it yet.  He slowly reached out his hand.

“Do you honestly think I’m that stupid?”  Abraham said.  “Slide the gun over here.”

Noah did as he was told. 

Dammit!  Dammit!  Dammit!

Abraham reached down and picked up the Walther PPK and tucked it into the waist of his jeans.  “Now, fairy boy,” he said to Taylor, “get on your knees and face the wall.”  Taylor did as he was told, while Abraham pointed the gun toward Noah.  “Alright, Superman, there’s some rope over on the workbench.  Go get it and tie up the little faggot.”

Noah looked up at Abraham and sneered.  “You no good –“

“Do it now!” Abraham screamed.  “Do it now, or I’ll kill you both.”



Diana Hanson paced back and forth in the hotel room, her mind spinning in a million different directions.

Please let them be okay!  Oh, please!

“Mom?” Isaac said suddenly.  “You’re driving us all crazy with the pacing.  Please try and relax, okay?”

She managed a nervous smile.  “I’m sorry, honey.  I just don’t know what else to do.”

Isaac walked over and embraced his mother.  “It’s gonna be okay, Mom.”

Diana felt a tug her pants leg.  She let go of Isaac and looked down.  It was Avery.  “What is it, Avie?”

“Should we pray again, Mommy?”

She felt tears come to her eyes. 

Such innocence.  Such faith. 

“That’s a good idea, sweetie,” she said, wiping away her tears.  “That’s a very good idea.” 

They all joined hands again, forming a circle.

“Dear Lord,” Diana began.



“Ahh!” Taylor screamed as Noah tied the rope around his already raw wrist.

“I’m sorry, Tay,” Noah said, standing up.  “Alright, it’s done,” he said to Abraham.

Abraham checked out Noah’s work and sneered.  “Good job.  Now, on your knees and face the wall.”

Noah laughed.  “You’re a damn fool, you know that?  Within minutes there’s going to be enough federal agents here to make the siege at Waco look like a garden party.  You’re not making it out of here alive.”

“You think so, huh?” Abraham said, shoving Noah against the wall.  “If I don’t make it out alive, then you don’t either.  I’ve got nothing to lose.”

Noah dropped to his knees.  “What about your precious million dollars?”

Abraham laughed.  “This was never really about money.  It was about revenge.  It was about causing pain.  It was about avenging the death of my wife.”

“What are you talking about?”

Jesse laughed.  “Go ahead…and tell him, Dad.  Tell him…tell him how Walker Hanson…took your job.  Tell him…how he…he killed Mom.  Go ahead…and tell him that one.  I could…I could use another…another good laugh.”

Abraham pushed Noah to his knees and pointed the gun to his head.  “Shut up, Jesse!”

“No, Dad.  Tell him like…like you told me.  Tell Noah how you…how you beat the…the shit out of a…fifteen year old.  Tell him…tell him how good…how good it felt.”

“Shut the hell up, Jesse!  Shut up or I’ll blow his damn head off!”

Jesse managed to raise his head.  “Sure, Dad.  Prove to the…the world what a…a freakin’ coward…you are.  Show them that…that you’re not…not man enough to…to face your own problems.  That you have to…have to blame other people…for your own…your own stupidity.”

“Noooo!” Abraham turned toward his son and pointed the gun directly at him.  “Damn you!”

Pow!

The bullet struck Jesse in his abdomen.  His head slumped to the floor.  Abraham walked over and nudged Jesse with his foot.  “Jesse?”  Tears filled his eyes as he realized what he had done.  “Oh, Jesse.  I’m – I’m so sorry, son.”

Jesse’s eyes opened and he glared up at his father.  “I…I hate…I hate you.”

Abraham backed away shaking his head.  “No, no, no!” he said.  “NO!”  He turned toward Taylor and ran over to him.  Grabbing him by the hair, he said, “this is all your fault, you little fairy.”  He pointed the gun to Taylor’s head.  “Damn you to hell!  Damn you to hell!” 

Taylor closed his eyes and prayed like he’d never prayed before.  At any moment he expected it all to be over.  He wondered if he’d feel the bullet going through his head.  He thought about his mom, his dad, and his brothers and sisters.  He would never see them again.  Fear gripped his body.  He gritted his teeth as Abraham shook his head, banging it against the concrete wall.

“You little son-of-a-bitch!  I ought to kill you right now – blow your damn brains out!  You killed my son!”

Noah slowly stood with tears streaming down his face.  “Mr. Lake, please don’t do this.  Please.  This isn’t Taylor’s fault.  It wasn’t Jesse’s fault.  Things happen, Mr. Lake.  Walker Hanson never meant you any harm – he didn’t kill your wife.  Please, Mr. Lake, I know you’re hurting, but this isn’t the way.”

Abraham stopped shaking Taylor’s head, but kept the gun pointed to it.  “What do you know about pain, you little shit?”

“My father, Mr. Lake,” Noah said.  “He’s dead.  I tried to blame people too, but it’s no one’s fault.  People die, people lose their jobs, lose their homes, but there’s not always someone to blame for it.  We have to accept the things that our own responsibility, Mr. Lake.  It wasn’t your fault that your wife died, but this…this whole situation – here and now – is your fault.  You, sir, are responsible for this mess.  You’ve caused enough pain already, don’t cause anymore.”

Abraham let go of Taylor’s hair and slowly began to back away.  “Shut up!  Just shut up and let me think!”  He looked at Jesse’s body, lying limp on the floor, and then back to Taylor.  His mind was spinning; he didn’t know what to do.  What was he going to do?  Everything he’d ever loved was gone – his wife and his son.  And what was – oh, damn, it was – all his fault.  They were gone and he was alive.  Nothing mattered anymore.  Nothing.

He pointed the gun to his head and closed his eyes.



Doubleday’s car screeched to a halt in front of the Lake home on Carson Street, followed by a swarm of other police vehicles.  Walker opened the door and was out before he knew it.

“Mr. Hanson,” he said.  “Get back in the car.”

“Dammit, Doubleday, that’s my son in that –“

Pow!

Walker’s heart sank to his feet when the shot rang out.  “Taylor!”  He ran into the house despite the objections from the army of police.



Abraham Lake’s body crumpled to the ground.  Noah Barnes stared in horror at the sight before him.  He’d never seen anything quite so terrible in his life. 

The blood.  Oh, my gosh, the blood.

He felt his stomach lurch and his breakfast rise to his throat.  He turned his head away and vomited on the floor.

“Noah, are you okay?”  Taylor said, trying to turn around. 

Noah held his hand up.  “Don’t look, Taylor.  Oh, shit, man, don’t look.”  He walked over and carefully untied the ropes binding Taylor’s wrist.

“Jesse!” Taylor suddenly said.

They ran over and knelt down.  “Jesse?” Noah said, pulling his friend’s head onto his lap.

Taylor grabbed Jesse’s hand and clutched it for dear life.  “Please, Jesse,” he said.  “Wake up, man.”

“Taylor!”

He looked having recognized the voice.  “Dad!  We’re down here!”

Walker Hanson descended the stairs and stopped dead when he saw the blood splattered against the wall.  He turned his head and rushed over to his son.  “Oh, Taylor,” he said, grabbing his son. 

“Dad,” Taylor said, with tears streaming down his face.  He wouldn’t let go of Jesse’s hand.  “Get an ambulance, Dad.  He’s gonna die.  Jesse’s gonna die.”

Walker Hanson yelled at the agents that appeared at the top of the stairs.  “We need an ambulance!”

“Jesse!” Noah screamed. 

Jesse’s eyes fluttered open once again.  His breathing was shallow and his face mirrored the pain that consumed his body.  He managed a weak smile.  “Noah.  Where…where you been, man?  I feel like…I feel like shit.”

Noah smiled.  “Shh!  Don’t try to talk, Jesse,” he said, fighting back tears.

Jesse looked at Taylor.  “Hey…hey Goldilocks.  How we…how we doing?”

Taylor’s eyes stung from the tears.  His nose was running and he wiped it on the sleeve of his shirt.  He smiled.  “Hey, Jesse.”

“I don’t…I don’t think…think that I’ll…be able to make…the concert.”

Taylor shook his head.  His voice was shaky as he said,  “come on, man, I need you there to catch the underwear, remember?”

Jesse let out a small laugh and then winced at the pain.  “Sorry, kid.  Not this…time around.”  Suddenly, his face illuminated; a smile as big as anyone had ever seen lit up his face.   “Oh, my gosh, Noah!  Do you…see it?”  He was staring toward the wall.

Noah looked up and saw nothing.  “See what, Jesse?”

“The light.  Man, it’s…so beautiful.”

Noah held him tight.  “Hang on, Jesse!  Hang on.”

Jesse reached his hand toward the wall.  “I can see her, Noah.  I can see Mom.  She’s waiting for me.  She wants me to go with her.  Can you see her?”

“I see her, Jesse,” Noah said shakily.  “Go to her.  Go to her now.”

“She’s so…beautiful,” Jesse managed to say before his smile faded and his eyes closed.  His body slumped down into Noah’s lap and his shallow breathing slowly came to an end.  His outstretched arm fell limply to the ground.

“NO!” Taylor screamed, still gripping Jesse’s hand tightly.  “Noooo!”

Epilogue

Chapter Eleven

Archives