Chapter Eleven – None of Us Will Ever be the Same

“You’ve got the money, Walker,” Chris Sabec said.  “Don’t you worry about that.”

It had taken some doing, but they’d managed to get Mercury to wire the money to an Atlanta bank.  The black duffel would arrive soon.  Then they would wait.

“Thank you, Chris,” Walker replied.  “Thanks a lot.”

“Look, it’s almost time for the press conference.  Is your statement ready?”

Walker nodded.  “Yeah, I’ve got it.”  He handed it to Chris, who quickly skimmed it.

“This sounds good.  Are you sure you’re up to this?”

“No.  But what choice do I have?”

Chris put his hand on Walker’s shoulder.  “It’s going to okay.”

“Thanks, Chris,” he replied.  “Listen up, everyone, I’d like to say something.”  All eyes in the room focused on Walker.  He took a deep breath and began.  “This is going to be a difficult time for me.  You know I don’t like to talk to the press.  I’d like for all of you to join me on the platform.  I need the people I love near me during this difficult hour.  Noah and Tracy, I’d like for you to be there too.”

Noah nodded.  “No problem, Walker.”

“Thank you, everyone,” Walker said.  “We’re going to get Taylor back.  I promise you that.”  He walked over to his wife and grabbed her by the hand.  “Diana,” he said, fighting back tears, “I’m going to bring our son home.”

She broke down into sobs and clutched her husband tightly.



Taylor had managed to get Jesse down the stairs.  He’d found an old sleeping bag and covered his new friend up with it, allowing Jesse’s head to rest in his lap.  He taken off his pullover and had it pressed against the gunshot wound.  Jesse’s blood had soaked through the cloth and onto his hand, but he didn’t care.

“It’s going to be okay, Jesse,” Taylor said.  “We’re going to be okay.”

Tears filled Jesse’s eyes.  “I’m sorry, Taylor.  I’m so, so sorry.” 

“It’s alright.  Just lie still.”

Jesse winced.  “It hurts really bad.”  He was silent for a moment.  Then, with tears rolling down his cheeks, he spoke.  “Tell me again, Taylor,” he said, almost gasping for breath.  “Tell me again about your family.  Tell me about your father whose never raised his hand to you in anger.  Tell me that again.”



The noise in the hotel conference room was deafening.  Hundreds of reporters from newspapers, television stations, and who knew where else, were cramped inside the small area.  Camera equipment, looking like menacing, robotic terrors, filled the back of the room.  They all waited for a statement from Walker Hanson.

The announcement of the press conference had caused a media frenzy.  Everyone scrambled to get in to get the story.  Even Marshall McGuire himself, editor of the Manchester Journal, had shown up.  They all wanted the exclusive story of the Taylor Hanson kidnapping.  None of them realized, however, that they weren’t going to get it.

A door to the right of the platform opened and the room quieted.  Isaac and Zachary came out first; followed by Diana and the other children.  Noah and Tracy followed them, with Walker bringing up the rear. 

He stepped up to the bank of microphones and took a deep breath.  “Ladies and gentleman,” he began.  “My name is Walker Hanson.  Behind me is my family: my wife Diana; our sons, Isaac, Zac, and Mackenzie; our daughters, Jessica, Avery, and Zoe.  We’re joined by two very close friends, Noah and Tracy Barnes.”

The crowd of reporters was silent.  They were captivated by every word.

“But there’s one member of our family that you don’t see: our son, Taylor.  As you all know, my son was abducted yesterday by an unknown assailant.  That, of course, is why you’re all here.”

He sighed.  “I had a statement prepared that I had planned on reading to you, but I’m not going to.”  Walker envisioned Chris Sabec standing somewhere hyperventilating.  “The truth of the matter is, ladies and gentlemen, you make me ill.”

A few gasps were heard from the crowd and one could hear pencils scribbling if they listened hard enough.

“I’m ashamed to be in the same room with you people.  My family has a right to privacy whether you think so or not.”

The reporters had stopped scribbling.  No one said a word.  Walker Hanson had their complete attention.

“Last night, this was a private matter, but someone in this room made it public.  It’s obvious to me that none of you care about my son as much as you do your precious story.  So, you’re not going to get it from me.”

The crowd began to murmur as the pencils started writing again.

 “There’s only one journalist in this room with any integrity.  This young man lost his job this morning because he wouldn’t do what all of you are doing right now.  He wouldn’t compromise his principles and his friendship with this family to write a story about this kidnapping.
 So, with that said, if any of you actually want this story, this is the man you need to talk to.”  He motioned back to Noah.  “Noah, come on up here.”

Noah, turning twelve shades of red, joined Walker Hanson at the podium. 

“This young man’s name is Noah Barnes and up until this morning he worked for the Manchester Journal.  The editor of that paper, one Marshall McGuire, fired him when he didn’t deliver the story you all read this morning.  When all this is over, and my son is back safe, Noah will get the exclusive story of how it all went down.  You want the story, you give Noah a job.”

Again, the crowd buzzed.  Marshall McGuire shrunk down in his seat.

“Thank you for coming,” Walker added.  “I’m sorry that you didn’t get what you came for.”

He stepped away from the podium and motioned for his family to follow him.  As they left the platform, reporters shouted questions at them until the door shut and they were standing in a small hallway.

“Wow!” Zac said.  “Way to go, Dad!  You really let those guys have it.”

Isaac smiled.  “That was awesome, Dad!”

Even Diana managed a grin.  “I’m so proud of you, Walker.”  She hugged him tightly.

Chris Sabec appeared and slapped Walker on the back.  “Well, that wasn’t exactly what I would have had you say, but it was brilliant.  A public relations nightmare, but brilliant.”

Walker laughed.  “Thanks, Chris.”  He turned to Noah.  “Could you take the kids upstairs, Noah?  I have a few things I need to take care of.”

Noah still a little shocked by Walker’s announcement, smiled.  “Sure, Walker, no problem.  Come on, Hanson clan.”



Abraham Lake was packing some items into a small suitcase.  He wouldn’t need much, just a few things to tide him over before he went on his big shopping spree.  He smiled as he thought about sitting on the beautiful beach, sipping a margarita.

He’d start out in the Caymans, but the sky was the limit.  He could go wherever he wanted to now, he could write his own ticket.  His only regret was that Karen couldn’t come with him.  Maybe he would meet someone new.

He smiled and turned on his portable radio.  Singing along to the music, he continued to pack his suitcase, not realizing that he would never need it.



The thought was back again, nagging Noah until he was about to go insane.

Apex Construction.  Where have I seen that name before?

The elevator door opened and Noah was about to step out when it hit him.  The white van in Jesse’s driveway.  The frantic phone call from Jesse the night before.  It all made sense now.

“Uh, guys,” he began, “can you take care of everything?  I need to go do something.”

Isaac nodded, a little puzzled.  “Sure, Noah, go ahead.”

“Can I come?” Zac asked.

“Can I come?” Mackie repeated.

Noah smiled and shook his head.  “No, I don’t think so.  Just tell you’re Dad –“ He stopped, not knowing what to say next.  “I think I know where Taylor is.”

“What?” Ike and Zac said together.

“Guys, it’s a crap shoot, okay?  I don’t even know if it’s going to pan out.  But if it does, I need to do it alone.”  Isaac started to protest but Noah stopped him.  “No, Isaac.  If I’m right, this thing could turn ugly.  Now get back to the room.”

They exited the elevator and Noah pushed the button to the lobby, causing the doors to close, before they could protest further.



“Mr. Hanson,” Inspector Doubleday screamed, chasing Walker down the hallway.  “I, uh, saw the press conference.  Well said.”

“Thanks, Inspector,” he responded.  “We were able to pull the money together.  It should be arriving soon.”

“That’s good,” Doubleday handed Walker a piece of paper.

“What’s this?”

“It’s the list of the Apex employees that were issued vehicles.  Our man could be one of those.  We ran a check on the people from the other list, but none of them panned out.  My men have been out knocking on doors all morning long.  I know we haven’t come up with anything solid, Mr. Hanson, but I assure you my men are working hard on this.”

Walker was staring intently at the list.

“We’re sure they are, Inspector,” Diana responded.  “We’re sorry that we haven’t been very cooperative.”

Doubleday smiled.  “Well, if it was my son out there, I’d have reacted the same –“

“Oh, my gosh,” Walker gasped.  “I don’t believe it.”

Diana and Doubleday looked at each other.  “What is it, honey?” She asked.

“It’s him,” he said.  ‘That son of a –“

“Mr. Hanson?”

“Beggar’s Canyon, of course!” Walker shouted.  Beggar’s Canyon had been a bad land deal that had fallen through for Helmerich & Payne.  The deal had cost them hundreds of thousands dollars.  From then on, anyone who made a mistake, it was referred to as “pulling a Beggar’s Canyon.”  “Abraham Lake.”

“Lake?” Diana inquired.

Walker nodded.  “You remember the psycho guy at the company picnics that used to complain that the boys were going to sing?  Well, I got promoted over him when they sent me to South America.”

“Mr. Hanson, are you sure about this?”

“Yes, I am sure.  He was furious when I got that promotion.  He swore he’d get back at me somehow.  I’d heard through the grapevine that he’d been fired and moved down south.  It must be him.  There’s no doubt in my mind.”

Inspector Doubleday grabbed the list.  “If you’re sure about this, Mr. Hanson, I can have a team of agents there within the hour.”

“I’m sure, but I’m going with you.”

“Oh, no,” Doubleday said, shaking his head.  “I’m afraid that’s impossible, Mr. Hanson.”

“Oh, come on, Doubleday, this is my son we’re talking about.”

“And I’m talking about something that could turn into a very dangerous situation.  I don’t need a civilian hanging around that could get hurt.”

“I’m not a civilian,” Walker stated.  “I’m a father – Taylor’s father.  And I’m going with you.”

The Inspector shook his head.  He knew he was useless to argue.  “Well, it’s against my better judgment, but I’d do the same thing.”  He sighed.  “Okay, you can come.  Just stay out of the way.”



Noah gunned his Corolla through a red light, praying for the best, and received an angry honk from the oncoming cars for his trouble.  He had to get back to Jesse’s house and fast.  His mind was spinning in a thousand different directions.  Was Jesse involved?  Was Jesse hurt?  Was Taylor hurt?  Was he out of his mind?  What was he going to do when he got there?

He reached back behind the seat and felt for his gun, nearly side-swiping a bus in the process.  Finding it, he pulled it from the floorboard and placed on the seat next to him.  He looked down at the cold, dark steel and the memory of that night came back to him.  The night he’d almost taken his life.  The night an angel and the Hanson brothers changed it forever.

And though my flesh is gone.  Hoo Ohh
I’ll still be with you at all times
And though my body’s gone.  Hoo Ohh
I’ll be there to comfort you at all times

"Oh, God," Noah pleaded. "Please forgive me!"

Another voice filled the room. "You don't want to do that, Noah."

Startled, he looked up to see Monica standing in front of him. "What? How did you…"

He watched as a brilliant white light illuminated her entire body. She was glowing.

"I'm an angel, Noah, sent by God," she replied. "He wants you to know that He loves you more than anything.  He wants me to tell you that killing yourself isn't the answer."

He slowly stood to his feet; unable to believe this was really happening.

"You're not an angel," he said. "No, you can't be."

Monica smiled. "I am an angel, Noah. I was sent here to help you."

"You can't help me, Monica - things are really screwed up. I can't go on like this anymore. My father is dead; I've lost my job and my fiancée. Where was God before all this happened?"

"Noah, God never promised that your lives would be without struggle. He's the same place He's always been, waiting for you to receive His love. You've believed in Him all your life, and now you're willing to throw that away because a few things have gone wrong."

Noah stood in silence, slowly pulling the gun away from his head and down to his side.

Not long after that, the three Hanson brothers had come tumbling into the room.  Looking back on it now, it was kind of funny.  Thanks to God, they had become a part of his life, and his life had become much better.  He had so much to be thankful for.  And now it seemed he was going on a suicide mission.

Jeez, I must be crazy!

He picked up his cellphone and dialed the apartment.

“Come on, Sarah, pick up,” he mumbled to himself.

It rang three times before she picked up the phone.  “Hello?”

“Sarah!” he screamed.  “Thank God you’re there.”

“Noah?  What’s wrong?”

He took a deep breath.  “Listen, Sarah, I think I know where Taylor is.”

“What?  Where are you?”

“I can’t tell you.  I’m on my way there now.  And I don’t know what I’m going to find.  I just wanted to tell you that I loved you.”

“Noah,” she said, “you’re scaring me.”

“I know, honey, and I’m sorry,” he replied.  “But this is something that I have to do.  Those kids saved my life once before, and now I have to return the favor.”

Sarah voice was filled with panic now.  “Noah, you don’t have to do anything.  Leave this to the police.  You can’t get yourself killed.”

“Sarah, I have to do this.  I can’t explain it.  I just have to.”

“Noah, please!  You could be walking into heaven only knows what!”

“I’ll be okay,” he responded, looking down at his gun.  “I love you, honey.  Call the hotel and tell Walker and Diana that I’m bringing their son home.”

“Noah!”

He hit the “end” button on the phone and then turned the power off.  He knew Sarah would try to call again and he couldn’t deal with her right again.  He hated the fact that she was worried and he regretted even calling her, but he had to let her know that he loved her.

Noah looked down at the gun on the passenger’s seat.

What am I getting myself into?

He put on his right turn signal and merged into the I-20 West exit lane.  He was almost there.

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Ten

Archives