Chapter Five - The Real Nightmare Begins

Crash!

Jennifer had been showing Monica around the house when they heard the noise coming from Noah's bedroom. They immediately ran up the stairs.

Thud!

"Noah!" Jennifer screamed as she hit the landing to the second floor. She ran down the hall, with Monica on her tail, and threw open the door to her brother's room. The place was a mess - Noah had turned over his bookcase, scattering books and CD's all over.

She spied Noah with his CD player held over his head just as he was about throw it down.

"Noah! Stop!"

Jennifer ran to her brother and took the boom box from his hands, laying it gently on the bed. Noah, who said nothing, fell to his knees and began crying.

"Oh, Noah," Jennifer said, crouching down next to her brother and cradling him in her arms. She smiled nervously at Monica, who had been watching intently, apparently not knowing what to say.

Noah sobbed uncontrollably. His face was flushed and his body was trembling. And to the surprise of Jennifer and Monica, he spoke. "He's gone, Jen - Dad's gone."

He repeated the words again as Monica joined the two of them on the floor and clutched Jennifer's hand.

"He spoke, Monica!" Jennifer said. "Thank God! Noah - you're back!"

Noah looked up at Monica, staring into her eyes with a curious gaze; his crying slowed to a faint whimper. "Who are you?" he asked suddenly.

Jennifer and Monica exchanged looks - neither one knowing what to say. Besides, where would they start?

"My name is Monica," she replied, finally. "I'm from the Manchester Community Hospital. Your mother and your sister asked me here to take care of you."

Noah looked confused. "Take care of me? Why?"

Jennifer gasped. "Don't you remember?"

"Remember what?" Noah asked.

"Noah, you've been out of it for the last month. You haven't spoken a word since daddy died."

He slowly stood from the floor, looking at the mess. "Did I do this?"

Monica smiled. "I'm afraid so."

"I think I missed something," Noah said.

Jennifer hugged her older brother. "You missed quite a bit. Let's go downstairs and I'll tell you all about it."



"How did I lose a month, Jen?" Noah asked.

"I don't know, but you haven't spoken to mom or me. We've been worried sick about you. Don't you remember anything?"

He closed his eyes. "I remember the phone call - mom crying. And I remember the funeral…"

"You woke up every night screaming, Noah. Don't you remember that?"

He shook his head. "I remember darkness and horrible nightmares. I saw Dad, Jen - I saw the wreck. It was horrible. He was just lying there."

Jennifer put her hand on Noah's shoulder. "Gee, no wonder you were having a fit. The only way we could calm you down was to play the Hanson CD over and over."

"The Hanson CD?"

"Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, Noah, but it was the only thing that would shut you up. But it's okay now, because you're back."

"Wow," was all Noah could say.

"Noah," Monica said, "it's perfectly normal for you to be a bit confused by all of this. The stress of your father's death was more than your mind could handle and it just shut down. The important thing now is that you try to move on with your life."

He snapped his fingers. "My job. Jennifer, what about the newspaper job?"

She hung her head and tears filled her eyes.

"Jennifer?"

"They fired you, Noah. When you didn't show up after three weeks they gave your job to someone else."

Noah's face drew went white. He managed an uncomfortable laugh. "You're kidding, right?"

"She's not kidding, Noah," Monica interjected.

Noah stood up from the couch and walked to the front window. He looked out and said nothing.

"Noah, I'm so sorry," Jennifer said. She stood and joined her brother at the window, wrapping her arm around his waist. He turned away from her and walked back over to the couch. "What else happened?"

Jennifer looked to the floor, her mind immediately shifting to his fiancée, Sarah. How much bad news would he be able to take? She sat down on the couch and grabbed her brother's hand, staring into his beautiful, hazel eyes. "Sarah came by everyday and would sit with you. She'd talk and hold your hand and cry. You never said a word to her, Noah. She finally stopped coming. She gave up on you."

Noah hung his head. "Where is she now?"

"Her parents said she moved in with her grandmother in Jacksonville. We haven't heard from her."

"Damn it!" Noah shouted, fighting back tears. "This is just great. My life is screwed!"

"Noah, please."

"No, Jennifer! It's not enough that my father died. Now, my future is dead, too! I'm sorry, but I don't see a bright side to any of this." He stormed out and up the stairs, slamming the door to his bedroom.

Monica sat in silence. The Lord was still silent. Other than knowing that He was still there, she had no idea what He wanted for her to do. She joined Jennifer on the couch and placed her arm around the young girl.

"Oh, Monica," Jennifer cried. "When did everything go to hell?"

"Jennifer, even though it seems that way, God is still in control. He has a plan and a purpose for all of this. I assure you that He is still here with you. Allow His love to comfort you."

"You sound so sure of that, Monica."

"I am sure. He loves you so."

"I hope you're right."


Chapter Six

Chapter Four

Archives