Ever Lonely

14 - Love Hurts - Lisa

"When I fall in love I want to wear kneepads, so when I fall on my knees and propose I don't get hurt" -- Zachary Hanson

 
Marilyn walked along the old wooden fence letting her fingertips graze the rough wood. She was waiting for him. As in syncronation with her thoughts, she heard his beat-up pick-up before she could see it coming over the hill. The truck came to a halt a few feet in front of her. She shielded her face with her arms so the dirt wouldn't get in her eyes.

The old door creaked as he stepped out of the truck. He looked like he always did. Cowboy hat, white t-shirt, Wranglers, and boots. Same short blonde hair, same sweet smile, but his eyes were different. They had a glow, a shine, a twinkle about them.

"You're late." Marilyn said as he walked towards her.

"I had to run by town after work," he took her hand and led her back to the fence.

"Why'd you hafta go to town?" she said hopping onto the fence.

"To pick somthin' up," his eyes wandered to the ground.

"Oh, groceries for your mom?" she scooted closer to him.

"No, I had to pick this up." he said pulling a tiny gold band from his pocket.

"Who's it for?" she said laying her head on his shoulder.

"You." He looked at her. She raised her head and looked in his eyes.

"Why'd you get me that?"

He jumped off the fence and stood in front of her. He took her hand in his.

"Marilyn Renee Shooton I will be very happy if you would agree to be my wife."

He looked to her for an answer.

"Yes, Zac." she pulled him into a hug as tears ran down her face. He pulled away and handed her the ring.

"I know it isn't much, but I hope you like it." She took the ring in her hand and looked at it. It was simple, no diamond just a simple ring. Inside the band she read the words Zac must have had put there.

'You are my kneepads'

Next

Previous

Archives